Thursday, September 18, 2014

Are You a Victim of Medical Malpractice?

Medical malpractice is an act or omission by a healthcare provider in which the treatment caused injury or death of a patient. By definition, cases involving medical errors are medical malpractice. Although patients can sue doctors and health care providers, medical professionals can obtain professional liability insurance to offset the risk and costs of lawsuits based on medical malpractice. When a wrongful procedure is done to you by a dentist, nurse, doctor or therapist, you can file a claim for medical malpractice.

Avoiding Medical Malpractice

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), medical negligence is the third leading cause of death in the United States aside from heart disease and cancer. Death or injury due to medical malpractice can be avoided by being in your best health or relying on the best healthcare. However, experiencing a bad outcome isn’t always proof of medical negligence. On occasion, health care providers will inform a patient that the person’s problems stem from medical negligence of a previous health care provider, or sometimes the patient himself or herself has made a mistake.

While a quick honest apology might prevent a claim, settlement without litigation could be issued by an insurance company so it prevents an injured person from hiring a medical attorney.

What Should You Do If You Suspect That You Have Been Subject to Medical Malpractice?

Getting in touch and consulting with a medical malpractice lawyer like Joseph Lichtenstein should be the first step. Look for an attorney who is qualified to handle your specific medical case, such as a cerebral palsy attorney or an erbs palsy attorney. A thorough review of case details and medical records should be conducted by the attorney to determine whether the case is actionable. Your health is too important to place in the hands of a provider who hasn’t earned your confidence, so find someone with experience who can give you the time and legal advice you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment